Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Animations and Simulations

Animations and simulations (such as Gizmos) are great for learning.  As it is stated in Explore Learning, the use of Gizmos (or simulations) actively engage students and encourage inquiry (and research supports their use as a learning tool).  I loved looking at the Froguts website and the demonstration on the dissection of a Bull Frog.  It was great because it had a combination of visual, auditory (although, using a computer generated voice was not the best choice) and active participation.  And, to some extent, it was self-paced.  This way, students can have access to a virtual dissection, without the mess and fuss!  I think they are fantastic.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your final comment Natalie about students having active participation without the mess, fuss, cost and social sigma of killing toads.

    I think that this is a great resource - mainly for secondary students but I'm sure if I went through the site alittle more I might come across some resources that would be suited to primary students.

    I'm very impressed with Gizmos from Explore Learning - will spend more time checking out these resources.
    Thanks for your input
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Sally. I particularly liked the Gizmos, too. I'm not sure how I would use something like "Froguts" in primary school, yet, but I am sure there would be something. I think kids would love it (well, most of them)! I guess it would come down to your learning outcomes? Regards, Natalie

    ReplyDelete