Friday, March 26, 2010

Interactive Whiteboards - WOW!

I have just finished watching some videos on Utube regarding interactive whiteboards.  Regarding MY knowledge of interactive whiteboards - it is zilch.  I have only heard of them, that's it, but I must say that even though I haven't seen them or used them, I've always thought that they sounded like a marvellous idea and I am itching to see one (which is amazing since I am the epitomy of the techno dummy!). 

After watching the video  (Interactive Whiteboards: boon or boondoggle), that provides arguments for and against their value in schools, it seems both parties had good arguments.  Now I feel I have to reserve my judgement until I see them for myself and my excitement has waivered a bit with the reality check.   That said, I then watched the next video and I was in awe!!  Another video (Interactive Teaching and Learning in Australia) also briefly showed  the use of interactive whiteboards in the classroom and I am truly amazed.  I have never seen anything like that before in my life (yes, I live under a rock) and I really want to check it out!!!  Imagine using that in maths and science or anywhere really.  I am a visual person and I think something like this would help my understanding no end, so imagine it's application for students' learning.  I am really excited!!!!!!!  Here's hoping that my school has interactive whiteboards so that I can them see in action!! For me (even though I haven't seen one yet), out of all the tools I have played with thus far, the interactive whiteboard excites me the most.

That said, it is important that if these resources are implemented in schools, that teachers receive adequate training and ongoing support in their use.  And it is also important to know the reasons for using them. If teaching practices are going to remain the same, then it will be a very expensive, glorified white/black board and probably do little to promote student engagement and participation or help students achieve learning outcomes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment