Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Uploading Flickr Images To Blog


Happy Furry Friday :)
Originally uploaded by meg price
Here is a someone else's photo I have uploaded from Flickr.  This has been a time consuming process and I don't know if I am doing it the right way. By chance, I stumbled upon a button that says 'send to blog' and I thought that this was what I was supposed to do. It isn't an option on all photos, though. I'm not entirely sure why that is. Maybe the publishers have limited the options and don't want the photos splashed around willy-nilly? I tried adding a photo to 'Gallery', but I have no idea where that ended up?!!

I did, however, manage to upload some of my own photos, but with uncertainty. I have a fear of putting any personal photos on the world wide web. Once they are there, I feel I have no control over where they end up (not that anyone really cares about my photos, but I do). The "private' option doesn't appease me.

In terms of students using Flickr (or similar programs), I think it is a great way to source photos for projects, presentations, story telling etc that would otherwise be limited. Students could search for photos that represent certain emotions, events, places or topics for example. The other great thing about Flickr, is that you can use it in conjunction with Picnik to modify the photos in all sorts of ways!  It certainly opens up the opportunity for creativity and artistic flair.  In Picnik, a photo is not just a photo anymore; it's an artform.  When I was in primary school, I was pretty much limited to magazines, newspapers and those project packs you use to get from the newsagency! Does anyone remember those? It was sooo hard to find pictures!! 

In terms of students uploading their own photos, I think an introduction to cybersafety would be important - what is appropriate for uploading and when it should be used, things to avoid etc. I think Flickr would be great for students to record their work - take photos and short videos of things they have done in class (and elsewhere) that they can then share. These photos can then be used for portfolios, blogs, wikis, power point presentations, regular presentations, reports etc.

As teachers, we can also use photos to enhance our pedagogy. Images can help engage learners, maintain interest, promote discussion, and perhaps explain something that words cannot describe effectively. However, the only problem I had was finding the "right" photo. This can be challenging.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Natalie, I too had problems uploading a photo from flickr. Eventually I saved a photo onto my hard drive - that was easy and then I just added it in as a photo. It worked well - but not sure if this was the best way to go about it.

    I also think that flickr has great potential in the area of assessment support for students. It can sometimes be very hard to find quality photos on the internet and this is a great source. Have a read of my posting regarding this topic - my school I work at doesn't allow students to access flickr - so this could be a little bit of a problem if the schools are blocking this website for student access.
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sally, Thanks for the feedback. I am interested as to why your school has blocked Flickr, so I will go and have a look at your blog. It seems that Flickr isn't the only program blocked. Wikis are too, aren't they? Regards,Natalie

    ReplyDelete