Saturday, April 17, 2010

Another First For Me

I have just finished my first week of EPL (Embedded Professional Learning) and I have been exposed to yet another piece of technology.  The idea isn't new to me (digital storytelling - because I learnt about it through the ICT course I am studying), but the program I have never used.  It is PhotoStory 3.  I absolutely love it!!!!!  And it is really, really, really simple to use.  I can't wait to get the time to teach my 6 year old how to use it. 

In the classroom, I can see this being used for individual students - maybe creating a story about themselves (which can be really open ended and about things they are interested in), a fictional story they have created themselves, or stories around a theme they are learning at school (such as ancient Egypt, Explorers, Dinosaurs, Endangered Species, the Environment) using photos, drawings, narration and music.  "Digital stories let students express themselves not only with their own words but also in their own voices, fostering a sense of individuality and of “owning” their creations" as indicated by the Educause Learning Initiative

In groups, they can create a group story (perhaps each student being responsible for a page to create in terms of illustrations, but all students would need to collaborate on the story), or stories around topics they are learning about (such as those listed in the second paragraph.  Students could use it in science to report on any experiments they may have conducted for a school project rather than simply writing what they did in boring report format.  Student groups could also use it to create campaigns, such as something for Sun Safety, Road Safety, Bicycle safety, bullying, healthy eating etc.  I think this example ties in nicely with the Engagement Theory of learning and also requires a high level of active participation. 

I think digital stories are much more exciting and engaging than simply writing a story, an essay or scientific report on a piece of paper.  Another good thing about digital storytelling is that the students' creations can be published on the internet such as on the school website, on student blogs, personal blogs, or wikis.  The idea of a public audience may be very motivating for some to do their best.

In terms of my teaching, I could use it to introduce a topic.  I could simply collect some photos around a theme (like weather - hail, snow, rain, storms, sun, or more specific - cyclones), add music and use that as an introduction to a topic. So, with the weather scenario, I could present the digital story, then have students' explain what they saw and then lead into what they know about the weather/cyclones. 

I could also use existing digital stories, such as this one about TV violence, to stimulate discussion about how students use TV, their thoughts about the content of the video, whether they agree or disagree, and perhaps lead them into a group project to analyse popular TV programs (for example, The Simpsons, Home and Away, Ben 10) for the number, degree and type of violence in these programs and to perhaps reflect on their own behaviour from watching these programs (for example: Are they desensitised to violence?  Do they copy violent actions in play?).  

I know that there are a lot more applications for this tool (such as those suggested by Techteachers) that I am yet to learn about, but I think they are a fantastic tool and so easy to use!

Reference:

1. Kearsley, G., & Shneiderman, B. (1999). Engagement theory: A framework for technology-based teaching and learning. Retrieved from http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm

2. Educause Learning Initiative. (2007).  7 things you should know about digital storytelling. Retrieved from http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ELI7021.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment